Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Falling toddler saved by AirCon unit!

A TODDLER who fell from an eighth floor flat was plucked to safety after he became jammed between a wall and an air conditioning unit.

His legs dangled beneath the box and he started slipping as rescuers put their lives at risk trying to reach him.

The boy, three, was grabbed after several heart-stopping attempts. A witness said: “I heard screaming and looked up to see a kid stuck behind an air conditioner while his legs were dangling in the air.”

Grocery shop workers named Wang and Zhou saved the child, who had been home alone in Beijing, China, on Wednesday.

- Story taken from

Sunday, 19 June 2011

Deer with wings!?

NorthWestern Energy, the company responsible for the electricity supply in the area, blamed the 30-minute blackout on a bald eagle dropping its prey – a baby fawn - onto power lines.

Lee Bridges, who lives in the area affected by the power outage, was outside taking photos of an eagle which had decided to perch in a tree near her home.

'They never come over here and when it perched up in that tree, I thought, I gotta get pictures or nobody's gonna believe me,'
Ms Bridges said.

When she returned to her house she noticed that the power was down and a NorthWestern Energy crew was already working in the alley nearby to restore the electricity supply.

She asked the workers what the problem was and they jokingly pointed to the power lines above her head and said:
'You see that? You've got a deer with wings.'

It is thought that the eagle had bitten off more than it could chew and dropped the baby fawn shortly after swooping on it, remaining nearby to try and retrieve its prey.

The worker who removed the carcass from the power line said he'd never seen anything like it.

- Story taken from

Saturday, 18 June 2011

Man miraculously survives 10th floor fall

The emergency services were called after startled neighbours discovered the man dangling precariously outside their eighth floor window.

Once on the scene rescuers quickly secured the elderly man, who was by now also clinging on with both his hands, by attaching rope to his outstretched leg.

The man, who could be forgiven for holding on, had to be persuaded to let go before the rescue worker who clambered out to save him was able to haul him to safety.

The elderly man was treated in hospital but remarkably suffered only a few minor scrapes, according to local press reports.

- Story taken from

Friday, 17 June 2011

Amazing pictures from space

This picture, in my opinion, doesn't even need a story behind it! The photo was taken by Italian astronaut Paulo Nespoli some 230 miles from the surface of the earth.

You can check out more amazing photographs by the same man on his Flickr - definitely worth a visit if you like this kinda thing.

Thursday, 16 June 2011

Old people and technology!

There's no denying that the Internet age and massive increase in our use of technologies can create something of a gap between generations. This video definitely exemplifies that as an elderly couple attempt to take a birthday photo on their computer. Watch and see how they do.

"Did you hear a click?"

The YouTube video was posted by "espo633" who writes about the hilarious couple, "Rita and Frank try to take a still photo to email to friends for Frank's 84th Birthday on their new Mac" of the hilarious couple.

Well, a happy belated 84th birthday to you, Frank! You and your wife may not have been successful in taking that photo, but are on your way to becoming viral video stars with this adorable clip.

- Story taken from

Man shoots own finger off to get rid of wart

A security guard came up with a bizarre remedy to remove a wart - he shot off his finger with a shotgun.

Sean Murphy, 38, from Doncaster, had seen his GP repeatedly about the problem and also tried a variety of traditional ointments and creams.

But when the persistent wart refused to disappear, he opted for the firepower of a 12-bore Beretta he claimed he had found under a hedge a few months earlier.

His technique successfully removed the wart - along with most of the middle finger of his left hand.

And the solution also landed Murphy in court this week for illegal possession of a firearm.

After leaving Doncaster Magistrates' Court with a suspended 16-week prison sentence, Murphy said:

'I'm happy with that. I know I could have gone to jail for up to 15 years for a firearms offence. My solicitor did a very good job. The best thing is that the wart has gone. It was giving me lot of trouble.'

He had suffered with the irritating wart on the joint closest to the tip of his middle finger for more than five years.

He said he drank several pints of beer to build up his courage before carrying out the operation outside the caravan where he was living at the time.

He stretched out his left hand, pointing the end of the barrel at an angle to the offending wart, and used his other hand to hold the stock steady and pull the trigger.

But he was unable to hold the weapon firmly when it recoiled and pellets took off most of his finger.

'I didn't expect to lose my finger as well when I shot it but the gun recoiled and that was it, the wart was gone and so was most of my finger. There was nothing left of it, so no chance of re-attaching it.'

- Story taken from

Wednesday, 15 June 2011

Sheep found on roof!

Firemen have rescued a sheep from the roof of a terraced house in south Wales.

The lost sheep spent 40 minutes on the tiles at Nant-Yr-Ychain Terrace in Pontycymmer near Bridgend, which backs onto a hill.

"It must have gone through a neighbour's back garden onto our bathroom extension and then the roof,"

The animal eventually jumped down onto another extension and escaped unhurt.

Mrs Walters, 38, said she was watching television on Saturday afternoon in the house which she shares with husband Neil when she heard a bleating sound.

"We occasionally get sheep wandering along the street so I didn't think any more of it."

When the noise continued, Mrs Walters said, she went outside to investigate further.

"I turned and looked at the house and saw the sheep on the roof, I was stunned when I saw it."

Mrs Walters said she thought the sheep gained entry to a neighbour's garden, then leapt onto a bathroom extension and up onto the roof.

"Someone I think called the fire service out and before long there were four firemen up there trying to rescue it, all my neighbours were out on the street, there must have been 15 of us by the end."

Mrs Walters said the sheep kept walking back and forth on the roof between the chimney stacks for 40 minutes.
"Then it jumped over a gap four doors down onto another roof, walked down another extension and got back down onto the back lane, it was funny at first but then it was soon clear that the sheep was distressed."

South Wales Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that it had dealt with an emergency call at 1402 on Saturday at the street, and that the sheep escaped unhurt.

Mrs Walters, a senior care assistant who works at a residential home in Tondu near Bridgend, said she had not been back to work since the incident.

- Story taken from